Missouri is known for its rich cultural heritage, and its thriving arts scene is no exception. From galleries to theaters and beyond, there are plenty of opportunities to experience the arts in Missouri. Here are some of the best places to explore the arts in the state:
- Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art: Located in Kansas City, the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art is one of the top-rated art museums in the country. The museum features a diverse collection of art, including works by famous artists such as Monet and Van Gogh, as well as a large collection of Asian art. In addition to its permanent collection, the museum also hosts a variety of temporary exhibitions and events throughout the year.
- Missouri Theater: Located in Columbia, the Missouri Theater is a historic venue that showcases a variety of performing arts, including theater, dance, and music. The theater was built in 1928 and has been restored to its original grandeur. In addition to its regular season, the theater also hosts special events and performances throughout the year.
- Grand Center Arts District: Located in St. Louis, the Grand Center Arts District is a vibrant cultural hub that is home to a variety of arts organizations and venues. The district features theaters, galleries, and performance spaces, as well as restaurants and cafes. The district is also home to the Sheldon Concert Hall and Art Galleries, which showcases a variety of visual and performing arts.
- Springfield Art Museum: The Springfield Art Museum is a free, public art museum that features a collection of American paintings, sculpture, and decorative arts. The museum also hosts a variety of exhibitions and events throughout the year, including lectures and workshops.
- Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art: Located in Kansas City, the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art is a museum that showcases contemporary art from around the world. The museum’s collection includes works by both established and emerging artists, as well as temporary exhibitions and special events.
Missouri’s thriving arts scene offers a variety of opportunities to explore and appreciate the arts. Whether you’re interested in visual art, performing arts, or both, there is something for everyone in the state. So, take some time to explore Missouri’s galleries, theaters, and cultural districts and discover the creativity and beauty of the state’s arts scene.